Garden of Hope has a sweet Thanksgiving Feast every year. The children clean and prepare the environment for their guests and help plan and prepare *some* of the menu. This year, the guests were treated to a turkey dinner with fruit salad and bread. Last year, we missed the feast as we were in Chicago. This was our first school event with both girls participating. Such a great tradition. Ella and Lily had Loran, myself and Aunt Chelsey as their guests. I volunteered to help serve food along with a few class moms so I got to wear my sweet apron!
Before being dismissed to wash up, each child gets to play their guessing game. It’s the preschool version of Three Card Monte. They find the cotton ball under the cup, Lily’s reactions were priceless. As they one by one get a chance, they’re dismissed to wash up and find their place. Each child has a placemat that they helped create. On their placemat what they are thankful is written.
Ella: “I am thankful for Mommy because she helps me get dressed and she picked my peace sign shirt. I am thankful for Daddy. We do jumping jacks and I like that.”
Lily: “I am thankful for cookies. And oranges and flowers. I am thankful for sand. I like to scoop up some castles. I am thankful for bumblebees, trains, toys and bunnies.”
Along with the placemats, the students are asked sporadically what they are thankful for and their spontaneous responses are recorded and put into poem form and then sent home to each family. Remember, every single family has a copy. EVERY. SINGLE. FAMILY.
Without going over the entire poem, I will take excerpts and remove the names of children I’m not related to, “For my Mommy. She comes to school here and paints with all of us (Ella)…For my Mommy because she tickles me so much I always laugh when she does that (C)…For my Mom because she likes me and does puzzle things with me (J)…For my Mommy when she gives me candy when I poop (Lily)…
Probably one of the few Thanksgiving poems out there that mentions excrement.
The teachers gave each child a certificate that highlights why they are thankful for that child.
Ella’s: “Your teacher is thankful for you because…you are so very excited about all you are able to do. You are making plans and following through. Life is good! <3 Ms. Patty :) You are growing so confident and learning so much. You have a bright smile and shining eyes. <3 Ms. Maria”
Lily’s: “Your teacher is thankful for you because…you are quite talkative and funny. You find JOY in most everything and delight in doing for yourself. Life is good! <3 Ms. Patty :) You are exuberant and determined. You are independent, yet you are learning to ask for help when you need it. <3 Ms. Maria.” (emphasis mine)
I think those sum up each girl exquisitely!
WE are thankful for such a wonderful school experience for the girls. Such a great foundation they have helped us lay and we’ve watched our babies blossom into capable little girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment