Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Making Our House a Home

The biggest part of our family trip to Austin was finalizing all of our house choices. It’s kind of a big task to visualize the end result when there has yet to be a beginning. We did have a lot picked out, so that was one thing to check off.

IMG_2614

We are lot 2 on this diagram. As of the beginning of November when I took the photo, you could still be one of our neighbors, get on that.

IMG_8742IMG_8745

The builder, David Weekley, has a design center in Austin. We were scheduled for three grueling days of design meetings. I was actually looking so forward to it, I was dreaming about the experience prior to showing up. I love decorating and design. While I can see how it could be overwhelming to some, I have the gift of visualization and spatial relation skills. I could see how I wanted the end product in my head, it was now time to make it a reality. The design center has hundreds of samples of tile, flooring, cabinets, doors, colors, light fixtures, faucets, etc., etc. But, thanks to my decisiveness, a little help from Loran and my vision, what is typically spread over three days, I finished in one. ONE! I volunteered to come back the following day to design another house for fun.

Of course, there is also some stress in the designing because in the future, if there’s something I don’t like, I haven’t nobody to blame but myself. Now I can blame the previous owners or lack of modern technology.

In fact, part of the meeting we had to discuss where to put extra outlets. Just the fact that the house would have more than one outlet in a room was already amazing to me. But the builder suggested that some people like to put outlets in their eaves to plug in Christmas lights…we just run an extension cord out a window. As I heard more option and even what was standard, I was so amazed. Keep in mind, Loran and my newest home was in Connecticut, built in 1927. We’re not used to double pane windows, insulation, or outlets. At one point, our builder was laughing at our excitement over “2012 basics” that he asked if we had running water in our current house. I told him, “YES! We have running water in our ONE bathroom!” So what if our fridge isn’t technically in our kitchen and our dishwasher is on wheels?

We went out to the model home, which will be the same layout as our home, but flipped, to pick out our exterior colors, stonework and options like garage door. While there, I took some photos of the model and the girls made a point to try out the back yard (it works!).

IMG_2616

The yard won’t be huge, mostly because the house takes up the majority of the space. And because property taxes are huge in Texas (no income tax!), we didn’t want a lot of property. Plus, I don’t enjoy caring for the yard when it’s super hot, and I’m told it gets kind of hot there.

IMG_8766IMG_8768

The guest room in the front of the house. With its own bathroom

IMG_8771IMG_8772

The view from the front door and the office on the left. Our office will have French doors and be closed. We won’t have stonework on the wall, but we will have a built-in along the windowed wall (my idea!).

IMG_8773

As you go around the corner, you find…

IMG_8774IMG_8776IMG_8777

powder room, garage entrance (with built in backpack rack) and laundry room

IMG_8778IMG_8779

Adjacent to the garage entrance is the “children’s retreat”! We added the built-in desk in the play area. Off of this space is…

IMG_8781IMG_8780

Girl’s bathroom (unreal that they get their own bathroom).

IMG_8782IMG_8783IMG_8784

Two bedrooms (we did not opt for the football themed paint)

IMG_8786IMG_8787

The kitchen/living/dining area from the front entry

IMG_8788IMG_8792IMG_8791IMG_8794

Kitchen and island. The two doors across from the island are the pantry. My head is spinning with all of the cabinet storage.

IMG_8793IMG_8815

The dining area ceiling has a neat wood treatment – the builder was thrilled we had chosen that option with ours…apparently it’s not easy! It sure is beautiful though.

IMG_8795

The built-in desk on the far wall past the dining area.

IMG_8789IMG_8797

Living room

IMG_8796

Hallway into the “owner’s retreat”

IMG_8798IMG_8799IMG_8800

Bedroom and sitting area (ridiculous and awesome!)

IMG_8802IMG_8805IMG_8806

IMG_8807IMG_8808

IMG_8809IMG_8810

Master bathroom and closet…crazy big. We probably won’t store stone samples in ours, but there’s room if we wanted to!

IMG_8811IMG_8812IMG_8813

Back porch

213800181511172012213800181812032012

November 16th, our forms started going in, December 3 – the foundation was poured!

I have to pinch myself when I look at these photos. Everything is bigger in Texas and I’m not sure what we’ll do with all of this space, so well thought-out and I think the interior designer did a good job too (hehe). I have to remind myself that we will lack for a basement which will make it difficult to store our treasures (junk), somehow I think we’ll make do.

While we were in our meetings at the design center, the girls made themselves at home. They set up the media room as their own little play house with babies and coloring. Watched movies, did yoga and charmed the receptionist so much she snuck them cookies and crackers. They were excellent during the process. Well, mostly excellent. Lily drew all over my iPad screen with crayon. Luckily, I had a 3M protective screen covering it and was able to peel the “artwork” off. Not without some guilt directed Lily’s way.

When all was said and done and we were sitting in our last meeting before our flight out finalizing everything with our designer, sales consultant and builder – they were in awe of our decision making prowess and said if there was a homeowner award, we’d get it!

I’m excited to have the opportunity to live in such a beautiful house and look forward to making it a home. I love that this house has interesting detail and an open floor plan. Lots of windows and beautiful views. More than one bathroom!!! Everything is new. But, we were able to add details that will be with the house presumably as long as the house stands, like the built-ins. And someday, someone will stand in that old house and shake their head at the colors/decisions made and curse me and my designing prowess…I welcome that opportunity!

No comments: