Friday, January 11, 2013

A Hippopotamus for Christmas

The night we’d all been waiting for- the Garden of Hope Holiday Program. Loran had changed his orientation schedule in Austin so he could attend. What would happen?? Last year, Lillian (not even performing) threw up all over beforehand. Ella has slowly started to participate in the last few performances, mouthing some words, using rhythm sticks, staring off into space, but I had a feeling this was going to be good. With both girls performing and it being our last GHM performance I was excited and a little nostalgic. I also fed them rather bland colored dinners, just in case. All bases covered.

IMG_9346IMG_9353

We got there early because I wanted to be in the front row. I’d seen a sneak peek of the performance when I subbed in the classroom the week prior. So excited! This year, Ella had made it to the back row with the big kids! She was very excited.

IMG_9356IMG_9364

IMG_9789IMG_9794

Family0163Family0172Family0176

IMG_9366IMG_9373

Both girls were “on” – very excited, both sang, smiled and banged those rhythm sticks like their lives depended on it. I was a little worried for the little guy in front of Ella.

IMG_9378

The Extended Day children performed I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. And while it’s a very difficult song, both Ella and Lily had memorized it and while the five Kindergarten aged children sang their hearts out, they had some backup from their younger supporters. Loran and I have heard a lot of this song. So much, that while in a bakery in Austin, the girls broke into song and actually got an ovation. That and the Three Little Christmas Trees song have been our staples. Three Little Christmas Trees was so sweet, the first time I heard Lily sing it in her sweet little voice at home, I nearly cried. She had so much feeling and expression, I actually felt bad for the Christmas trees who didn’t have a home.

Three little Christmas trees standing all alone

Their hearts were very sad ’cause they hadn’t found a home.

Then chop went the ax

And down fell a tree

And off it went with a happy family.

Repeat with Two and One

No little Christmas trees standing all alone

Their hearts were very happy ’cause they’d all found a home.

IMG_9805IMG_9810

IMG_9380IMG_9394

IMG_9820

IMG_9404

Both girls were very excited they could bow at the end. They’d practiced quite a bit and it was a really exciting day when they got it down – I heard all about it in the car. I have to admit, seeing 26 three to six year olds holding hands and bowing in mostly unison is pretty adorable.

Loran and I were called up in front of everyone where the teachers wished us well on our journeys and gave us a wonderful gift. With my heart in my throat, I managed to choke it down and not bawl all over, but I sure wanted to.

IMG_9821IMG_9823

After the performance the girls hit up the snack buffet laid out before them. The play structure was open to them, so the children whooped it up. As we were leaving, Ella complained of a stomach ache. When we put her to bed we gave her a bucket, just in case. She hugged her bucket and stuck her tongue out while making a “pleh” sound. She then looked up at us and said, “It isn’t working.” Ella apparently didn’t understand how the bucket works. Luckily, she didn’t need the bucket, it was just the combination of Christmas cookies and running around like a wild animal. By morning, she was back to her happy self.

IMG_9827Family0181

No comments: