Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ella as a Texan

Ella has taken to being a Texan quite easily. She’s already lost her tough, Minnesotan exterior and gone soft on me. Evidenced by last week, we had a morning where the temperature was 32 degrees. It was forecasted to warm up to 70, so I sent Ella to school in a hooded sweatshirt since she didn’t have recess until noon. And what did I hear on our 50 yard walk to the car from the apartment? I heard Ella whining that she needed her snow pants because it was SO cold in Texas! Snow pants!

Ella had her five year well child check at the end of January. She was originally supposed to have that in Minnesota before we left so we’d have some time to find a doctor before Lily’s WCC. But, Ella decided to have strep throat, so those well-thought-out plans went right out the window. We joined a small group through our new church that had its first meeting early in January, as we were getting to know one another, I asked if anyone had a recommendation on a pediatrician. I figured everyone had small children and I’d known them for two hours, why not trust their opinions? Before my question was dead in the air, two separate families were yelling out “Dr. Wheelock!” like it was an answer in Family Feud. I think the other families stayed quiet for fear of a riot erupting. These types of things happen in Bible study.

The next day, I was on the phone with Dr. Wheelock’s office to schedule Ella and Lily’s appointments. Four weeks later, we entered the office, all decked out like a jungle. Lily was actually mad it wasn’t her appointment. Ella had an eye exam that kept getting interrupted by people walking through her test, and a little sister who kept yelling out the answers before Ella could, once the situation was under control, Ella did well on her eye exam. She also had a hearing check, passed. Ella weighed in at 40 pounds – 50% and is 44.25 inches tall – 85%. Dr. Wheelock is a wonderful doctor with a great bedside manner, I think we were all a little charmed by her. Ella escaped without any shots as her medical records haven’t been transferred yet. She’s still not off the hook, they’ll let us know what she needs when the records arrive. Ella and Lily left with an armful of stickers and suckers. Afterwards, we visited Loran’s office where they were celebrating the end of the quarter with ice cream sandwiches. Not just any old ice cream sandwich you could buy in a box from the grocery store. No. Fancy, artisan ice cream in-between homemade cookies of varying flavors. These were some serious ice cream sandwiches.

IMG_9867

Lola likes to cuddle with her buddy at night.

IMG_9970

Food trucks are a big deal in Austin. They are everywhere and you can get anything. This one features donuts. Not just any old donut, big fat donuts covered and smothered in all kinds of goodness. Ella loved this food truck where she had a strawberries n cream donut. I had a donut that was covered in coconut and chocolate and Loran had a maple donut that had bacon strips. Divine.

IMG_2958

My great friend Marie writes letters and cards and every week. She sends them out by the dozens. Ella and Lily have been receiving a lot of cards and packages from Marie. They just burst with happiness when we open the mailbox and see a letter. Ella fell asleep clutching one of her cards. So precious! Real, fun mail is such a day brightener!

No comments: