Ella has four days of school left. There is a lot of wrapping up to do, thankfully she hasn’t had any homework because it’s all I can do to get her lunch made every evening. I’m looking forward to school being out just so I don’t have to make school lunch for three months.
There should be a preschool graduation for parents. It’s hard to face sending our babies off to Kindergarten. I never understood how hard when I was the teacher, but now as a parent, I think I need to march across a stage to some applause, while bawling.
Thursday was the Pre-K end of year celebration. We piled into the cafeteria and watched the children take their turn walking across the stage to get their certificate. Prior to their certificates, there was a slideshow. The other parents must have hearts of steel, but I was completely mushy, tears and all. Of course, you could put me in any school anywhere for any program and I’d probably get choked up. The fact that I actually am related to one of the participants is definitely cause for waterproof mascara.
The slideshow was set to a Phil Collins song – “I’m On My Way” about being ready to move on because of being full of happy memories. Lost it. I just looked it up and it got me again.
Ella photos from the slideshow:
As the screen was raised, the children audibly gasped as it revealed star balloons flying in their honor. Five year olds are so cute. Their principal had a few words for them and they ended with the Lake Travis Elementary chant, which was adorable coming from such little children: “L-T-E Rocks, Whoop Whoop!” (Complete with raising the roof action)
Of course, Lily announced she had to use the bathroom as the children filed in. Once I reminded her the school had automatic flushers, the urge suddenly passed. That was good because I wasn’t going to miss this program because Lily slammed an Ensure before we left.
Watching the children wait for their turn is just hilarious. Waving, dancing, making monster faces, hanging on the bar, not paying attention and then noticing there’s a 15 foot gap between them and the child in front of them. The other interesting thing is watching how they approach the walk across the stage. Some did it slowly, savoring the crowd’s eyes upon them, some kept their head down and walked quickly across to their teacher, one boy actually blew kisses with alternating hands as he crossed. Ella’s turn…Ella took the sprinting approach. As soon as Ms. Rogers gave her the go-ahead, she was off…
She put the brakes on as she got to Ms. Magee and Ms. MyCue. Not bad for a child who was slow to walk. Sprint to graduate.
Once she got her certificate, she studied it with pride. Except while the boy next to her walked across the stage. I think she has a little crush on B. She lights up whenever she talks about him, which is frequently. Apparently, he’s very funny. I should have added some cartoons hearts to this photo above her head. Then after he got his certificate, she patted on the stage next to where she was sitting so he would sit next to her – which he would have anyway because they were in order.
Another sprinter passes by.
Ella with Ms. MyCue and Ms. Magee
While waiting to get her photo with Ms. Magee while another student had his photo taken, Ella stepped right in and smiled with them, basically photo bombing their picture. Then her turn comes and she’s too busy people watching from her vantage point on the stage to smile.
Once the program wrapped up, the children were ushered back onto the playground to burn off a bit more energy. After lunch, the children had splash day, hence the swimsuit peeking out from Ella’s dress. When I picked Ella up from school at 2:30, she was exhausted. She actually fell asleep on the ride home, which never happens.
During our drive home, I ask her a few questions about her day. I knew they’d be having popsicles at the end of splash day, so I asked what color she had. She replied, “The same as Hailey” – clearly I would know what kind of popsicle Hailey had. Then she just exclaims, “I didn’t get a medal!” I figured they’d just played a game and she didn’t win. Then she exclaims, “Nobody in Ms. Magee’s class got a medal!” Then it clicked. During the morning program, the students who had perfect attendance received medals. Apparently, that really stuck with Ella. She couldn’t believe she didn’t get a medal. She was absolutely shocked that she, Ella, the girl who joined the class mid-way through the year and missed weeks of school because she spikes a fever at the drop of a hat, did not have perfect attendance. Maybe Kindergarten will be her year.
Today, Friday, Ella had to get to school before the rest of the Pre-K children because she was invited to participate in the school-wide parade for reaching Level 6 in the reading challenge. We got her to school by 7:45 for the elementary-wide assembly. Ella was most excited about the parade because she would get to hold Ms. Magee’s hand! Cute. The students who read the most in each grade level received, you guessed it, a medal. Ella did not get a medal, the child in Pre-K who read the most, read 4,000-some minutes. Ella logged a hearty 1,230 minutes. I’m sure I’ll hear about her lack of medal this afternoon. Another goal to work towards in Kindergarten. However, she did get a whistle that they blew during the parade. The parade was controlled, loud, chaos. Lots of cheering and whistling, a fun celebration. Ella was happy to get back to Mom and Dad after 1.5 laps around the gym.
We’re approaching the final few yards towards the finish line of the preschool years. How did it go so fast? At the same time, she’s been in an early childhood program since she was three weeks old. Yet, it doesn’t feel like enough. She hasn’t been in preschool long enough to be going to Kindergarten already. Silly since she’s been going to five day a week school since age 2 1/2. But how is it time for Kindergarten already?
Last week, we were invited to visit her Kindergarten class by the lead special ed teacher, Ms. Garrett. We were able to meet Ella’s future Kindergarten teacher (a perk of being in Special Ed, the regular kids don’t know yet). Ms. Ciccolella (tricky to say, but it has ‘ella’ in it, so we’re excited!) met us right away while her Kindergarteners were at recess and Ms. Garrett gave us the tour of the school. Ella’s favorite part of the tour was seeing the cafeteria. We were able to see her future classroom, their equivalent of the ‘wiggle room’ at Normandy Park, met her future speech teacher and saw the library, gym, art rooms, music room, playground, cafeteria and other important areas. This school has a nautical theme, it’s very neat. I’m excited that they get a lot of gym/art/music. I am so impressed with our district, it amazing. Ella was apprehensive before the tour. I walked through the school with a giant lump in my throat and could have burst into tears at any moment (see third paragraph).
I taught preschool and Kindergarten, I know this time of the year rolls around. I know it’s exciting and everyone is ready to be done, especially teachers. But I’m not ready to let go. I feel like we just established a relationship with the staff at LTE, and now we have to leave the school and move on. Then, Ella will have to move to a new school for first grade that is being built closer to our neighborhood, so next year will be another ending as we prepare to move to Elementary 6 (still unnamed). It was hard enough to leave the safety of our Garden of Hope/Normandy Park routine. Now after only a few months, I have to leave LTE and Ms. Magee’s Pre-K class. Maybe *I* am not ready to move on. Now Ella’s Kindergarten apprehension has been lifted. Since our visit, she’s been talking a lot about Kindergarten, like she’s an expert. She’s ready. I have three months to get ready and mentally prepare myself for a new school and new adventures in Ms. Ciccolella’s class. Four more days and this schooling thing gets serious, and legally required. On the bright side, three months of not making lunches! *grin*
No comments:
Post a Comment