I promise I won’t recap each day of Kindergarten/Preschool….day 73…day 128…
I didn’t sleep well, it’s as if all of the first day of school anxiety had caught up with me and I kept dreaming about the bus and bringing Ella to her classroom. While I was awake in the middle of the night, I heard Lily stirring. I checked in on her, but luckily, she wasn’t actually awake, just talking in her sleep. All I heard was “mumble, mumble, chocolate ice cream.” Only Lily.
5:30 rolled around all too quickly, perhaps staying up until 11:30 partnered with my inability to sleep had something to do with that. When I woke Ella at 6, she grumbled that it was still dark out and she wanted to sleep. I roused her and let Lily sleep. Ella and I had a nice morning together, getting ready. It was a lot less rushed and stressed getting one child ready and not both. Lily was still sleeping as we went out to the bus stop. It’s in front of the next door neighbor’s house so I wasn’t too worried. Ella was excited to see the bus again and climbed aboard the second the doors swung open. I enjoyed 45 minutes to myself with coffee on the porch and some odds and ends. When I got Lily up, she was quite happy and we also enjoyed a less stressful morning routine. As I was driving her to school, she randomly says, “Mom? If Daddy’s in Japan, and I was sleeping while you got Ella ready at the bus stop, I was all by myself in the house!” This did not come from a place of panic, rather, she was very excited to have been home alone (even sleeping). This worries me for the future.
The bus was on time today and when the doors opened, no child stepped forth. I knew exactly what had happened, I boarded the bus and found Ella and the neighbor girl, also a Kindergartener, sitting together right behind the driver. Both fast asleep. I roused Ella and motioned to the little girl’s older sister that she was asleep. They were an adorable pile of cuteness. I wish I had a photo.
Later in the afternoon, I received a call from Mrs. Ciccolella. She gushed on how great Ella’s two days have been. Ella’s participating, raising her hand, contributing to their conversations, going up to the white board to do things. Her teacher already thinks she is just the sweetest girl (we get that a lot from teachers). She just went on and on about how well Ella is doing. I thought Ella might get lost going from the bus to her classroom this morning, but Mrs. Ciccolella informed me that an older girl helped her (maybe one of our neighbors) and Ella was one of the first in the classroom this morning, happy as could be. She’s asking for help when she needs it, finishes her work and asks for more. In small group, she solved a number sentence: 3+4, and wrote a 7 by herself (backwards). Her teacher said the difference between even yesterday and today in her comfort level was quite noticeable and she’s already coming out of her shell. I am so excited to see how Ella grows this year. She already seems like a professional Kindergartener. I’m so proud of her, and it’s only day 2!
This evening, we enjoyed dinner at P. Terry’s and headed home for a quick video chat with Loran as he starts his Wednesday. The girls were pajama’d up by 6:15 and in bed by 8:00. Hopefully sleep comes easier tonight, and Lily continues to dream about chocolate ice cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment