Wednesday, October 30, 2013

T’was the Night Before Halloween…

The girls settled on their costumes months ago. Ella wanted to be a witch, Lily a pirate, then cat…

IMG_4685

Last week, we received a note from Ella’s school that they would be celebrating Halloween by dressing up as their favorite literary character, and they were to bring the book to school with them. Great, I figured we could pick Room on the Broom and Ella could use her witch costume. Perfect! My backup plan was Pinkalicious – Ella could basically dress as herself. But when I pitched my great ideas, I got a flat, “No, I like Alphabet Rescue.” Really? Alphabet Rescue?? The main character in that book is THE ENTIRE ALPHABET! How was I going to pull that off? I pulled out my witch and and Pinkalicious pitches again, and was completely shut down, again.

Ella and I decided that we’d get a t-shirt and add letters to it. We took a trip to Michael’s together and picked out our supplies on Saturday. Real life got in the way and suddenly it was the day before Halloween and I hadn’t yet made the shirt. Today, I got started on it, it was really just a matter of cutting out the alphabet with the Cricut and then stencil them on the shirt.

IMG_4699

Easy peasy. It was dry by the time Ella got home. I showed her the shirt and she was thrilled! Hooray. I figured she could wear her plastic firefighter helmet and we’d be set. Ella nixed the helmet. Then, she looked at the blank back and said…

“Can you paint a fire truck on the back?”

“Ummm…yes??” (in my head: yeah, I’ll totally freehand a fire truck. How am I going to paint a fire truck?? Must channel my inner-Martha Stewart.)

I gathered my array of brushes and paints, tied on my apron and got to work.

IMG_4703

Totally worth it. Ella was completely excited about her shirt. Not bad for winging it! Next year I’m going to lobby for Junie B. Jones so I can just send her to school in mis-matched clothes, basically, Lily’s day-to-day wardrobe.

As I was capping my paint, Loran came home from work and informed me he needed a costume for work. I reminded him he still had his pimp costume from college, but apparently that isn’t work appropriate for someone with the words “vice” and “president” in their title. But, I’d heard of a great costume on the radio and I knew I could quickly whip it out…

IMG_4705

*keep reading if you don’t get it.

Now the children, and the husband are set costume-wise for tomorrow. We still have candy to hand out, despite my best efforts to eat it all…thanks to dumping the girls’ Trunk or Treat bags into the candy bowl – I’ll post about that later.

I still had one more trick up my sleeve. Basically, I sealed my “Mom of the Year” status (at least at the household level) when I made the girls’ lunches. I’m not one of those creative lunch moms. No pb&js made to look like sushi rolls, no fruit and cheese kabobs or anything that resembles anything adorable. I’m just happy to have a 100% success rate at remembering their lunch everyday. Score! But for Halloween, I pulled out all the stops. If you’re one of those amazing lunch moms, stop reading now, or risk giving yourself a headache from your eye-roll, but if you want to find out what Loran’s costume is, keep reading despite my lameness.

IMG_4704

Ta-da – the “spooky” Halloween lunch. The Sharpie really did the hard work, making the orange a jack-o-lantern and the cheese stick wrapper a ghost. Yes, my sash and tiara should be arriving any day now. This ranks up there with the three days I’ve remembered to put a note in their lunches, but they can’t read yet, so it’s okay…shoot, I *just* posted that one of them can read now. Scratch that. Better start writing notes, starting November 1.

 

*Loran’s a ceiling fan.

No comments: