Every year, Lily’s school hosts a Father’s Night and Mother’s Night. Last year, I wasn’t able to make Mother’s Night because Loran was out of town and I didn’t have a sitter for Ella. This year, Loran was also out of town, but I was able to get the neighbor girl to watch Ella, so Lily and I were off to school for the evening.
It’s completely child-led. They take us through their activities and we’re not supposed to lead, just follow, watch, or be led by them. Lily took us through a variety of activities and I really enjoyed being in her peaceful classroom. I took photos of a few of our endeavors, but not everything because I wanted to be more mom and less paparazzi.
Puzzles
Metal Insets. We both created enough to make a book! (this was one of Lily’s favorite activities)
Dressing boards. Lily’s very close to tying bows, but not quite there yet.
Lily really liked this game where we’d take turns wearing the blindfold and then would give the blindfolded one a shape to guess: cube, cone, sphere, pyramid, etc.
We read books, played with the farm animals, checked out the garden, worked on zipping, created tangram puzzles, and did some block building. It was really special to be in Lily’s space, to see what she’s busy with during the day. When I ask her what she’s done all day, I usually hear about recess and lunch and usually hear that she did water work. At the end of each week, she brings home a bag of art she’s created. But to be in her class, using the manipulatives, listening to her describe how to do each activity, and correcting me when I make a mistake. Such a special night with my baby, who’s growing by leaps and bounds before my eyes and not so much a baby…even though I remind her that she will always be my baby, even when she’s an old lady.
No comments:
Post a Comment