Thursday, May 22, 2014

Losing Lucy the Toothy

Tooth number two has been a bit of a bugger. Mostly because the permanent tooth decided to come in and set up residence, shark style, before the baby tooth was even remotely wobbly.

I was already envisioning the orthodontist bills. The girls visited the dentist last week and our dentist informed me that the baby tooth was so loose, a good bite into an apple would get the job done. Since Ella doesn’t communicate such things, we had no idea it had become loose so quickly.

Ella was excited to get it out and actually have a tooth in hand for the tooth fairy, rather than just eat it like the first. She requested a whole apple, then gnawed on it with her side teeth, completely missing the point.

This week, we’ve been working on wiggling Lucy, the name we gave the tooth.

Ella even wanted me to really get in there and see what I could do. Despite getting the heebie jeebies when I’ve had to deal with other’s teeth, my like most gross things (diapers, snot, vomit), it’s easier to handle when it’s your own kid. I was able to handle working on Lucy, and looked forward to it.

After school on Monday, Ella sat on the counter and we chatted and I wiggled her tooth. We really worked on it and had a lot of giggles in the process. We snapped some photos in the process.

IMG_20140519_162310774IMG_20140519_161135407

And Ella took an “Ella’s eye view” of the process…

IMG_20140519_162423153_HDR

Unfortunately, trying to get a tooth out of Ella’s mouth is nearly impossible because she licks you. Her tongue just can’t help but slobber all over your fingers, and then she giggles. A lot.

Every day, we wiggled a little bit. It was so ready.

This morning, Ella had some pears sliced up when we heard a crunch. It was disturbingly loud. Her eyes got huge. Loran and I rushed her. Loran held his hand out and I finger swept the chewed-on pear out of her mouth, along with the itty bitty tooth. We had saved it!

IMG_20140522_063608198IMG_20140522_063900279IMG_20140522_063905705

Ella was so excited, but we also had to get her out to the bus. There was much joy. Lily woke as Ella was brushing her teeth and when we told her Ella had finally lost her tooth, Lily was ecstatic, adding to the festivities of the morning. We talked Ella out of bringing it to school, and she beamed all the way out to the bus stop, retelling the tale to Lily who was all ears.

That was a lot of excitement for 6:30 am.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, the apple trick the get rid of the wiggly tooth. Or in this case, the pear! Visiting the dentist turned out to be a good call, as you could plan on what to do with the loose tooth. I guess now is a good time to introduce her to the tooth fairy!

Patrick McEvoy