Thursday, May 15, 2014

Soothing With Paint

I’ve had paint for our master bedroom since June 29th of 2013. Two cans of paint have sat on the floor of the closet for nearly half a year because I was being lazy. I like painting. I’m pretty good at it. I don’t even need to tape. I was super excited for the color I’d picked. But the thought of tackling a room that was nearly the size of our first apartment that also happened to have walls that extended even higher than the standard 10 foot walls in the rest of the house was just too much to fathom.

But, Loran went to New York for part of a work week, and when Loran travels, I like to do projects. So, off I went. I borrowed an even taller ladder from the neighbor and got to work. The painting was quicker than I expected, but still took forever. I must actually be more physically fit from running because despite climbing up and down 8ft ladders for days and using a roller on the walls for days, I wasn’t sore at all. Weird, but welcome.

I loved the color immediately, but was having debate on whether to carry it through the whole room, or do a small accent wall in the reading nook. I felt like that area needed something so it wouldn’t just blend in. I had a bunch of paint left over from when I painted the powder room blue, so I decided to use that darker shade on the one wall with three windows. I figured it wouldn’t be too overpowering, but would provide a nice pop.

For days, I slept without curtains, which was mostly fine because I’d drop into bed around 11 and just turn the light off and sleep until 6. But, not having curtains also meant that one time the neighbor happened to be shaking out a rug when I plopped down on my bed to eat demolish a Reeses Egg that I’d purchased for 75% off from Target’s Easter clearance, and she saw me inhale my peanut butter and chocolaty goodness secretly while the children played just a few feet away. It was awkward.

I was also awkward because I lived in paint clothes for days. Preschool pick up/drop off, bus stop…I was the mom who looked homeless. A walking paint chip for every color I’d painted in our house, or the previous house.

I didn’t quite finish before Loran got home. I had touch ups and decorating to do, but Loran kept the girls occupied on Saturday so I could finish up. I really rallied and finally finished everything Saturday night before bed. Not bad. Wednesday to Saturday. Not like my usual land-speed records, but it was done.

IMG_5757IMG_5756

IMG_5759IMG_5779

Truth be told, I hated the dark blue wall at first. Mostly because I finished it late, and then hung the wood blinds up so I could sleep a little better. It just looked dark, like a boy’s room. But, I figured I’d wait until the drapes were up to soften up the room and see how it looked in the light of day. Now I love it and I’m so glad it’s painted.

IMG_5760

The view from the 8ft ladder. Yes the fan was on. No, I couldn’t reach it.

Once everything was hung, it was awesome. Ella and Lily were awestruck. Ella exclaimed that it looked like a hotel. I’m kicking myself for sitting on the paint for so long, because it really is lovely, but it really came together better because I waited and put a lot of thought into it. I was able to collect items for the room slowly and with a more discriminating eye.

IMG_5784IMG_5785

IMG_5786IMG_5787

IMG_20140504_091224332

Panoramic feature of my new phone…fancy.

The rundown:

Paint: Behr – Watery. White drapes – Ikea (super excited they had 96 inch drapes) Wall shelves – Target. Club chair – Home Depot. Rug – Target clearance. Bedding – Kohls. Throw pillows – Target clearance. Cube shelf – Target. Square boxes – Ikea.

IMG_20140504_165954526IMG_20140504_190611071_HDR

Cat tested.

IMG_5788

Kid approved.

Two weeks later, when Loran went off to New York again, despite having paint for the master bathroom, I kept it simple. I got a new piece of furniture for all of our tv components and some shelves from Ikea and did a little rearranging and redecorating. I did sew new valances for our living area windows. But at no point did I climb a ladder.

IMG_20140515_145636815_HDRIMG_20140515_145704131_HDRIMG_20140515_145715947_HDR

Loran’s off to Japan again soon. I think that master bathroom paint will finally get cracked open.

No comments: