Recently, it was Teacher Appreciation Week and our PTO went all out on the Friday of that week and treated all of the teachers to a lunch at a nearby restaurant. But as teachers know, by the time you get your kiddos settled in the cafeteria and deal with any last minute stuff that has cropped up, phone calls or emails, last minute copies or plans for the afternoon, use the restroom, you have maybe 10 minutes to eat your lunch, even less if you have to spend time heating your lunch. To make the lunch actually enjoyable/attainable for the teachers, the PTO asked for volunteers to fill in for an hour after the lunch time, thereby giving the teachers and hour and a half.
Well, this is right up my alley. I used to teach kindergarten! Another mom and myself were slated to watch the chicks. I also had an assistant because unknown to me until a few days prior, Lily’s school was out on Friday. Luckily, my assistant is plenty happy to tag along to kindergarten. The other mom had an idea of what we could play with the kids.
I got there early, as the children were going to lunch, so I could get any last minute instruction from Ella’s teacher and also let her leave knowing there was someone in charge and in the building. Lily and I spent the half hour of the kids’ lunch playing on the rug, looking at books, and getting the lay of the land.
I have to admit, I was getting nervous that the other mom wasn’t there. It’s one thing to be the teacher without a plan in your own classroom with your own class. But, to be the teacher in someone else’s class with no plan and no idea where things are in the room…freaky! I started formulating a plan that involved reading books and teaching them how to play “Heads Up- 7Up” – classic.
My assistant. Confiscated toys on a desk, oh the nostalgia.
Luckily, when Lily and I arrived at the cafeteria to gather our students, the other mom was also there. We got the kiddos through a bathroom break and back to the classroom with everyone accounted for. Whew. We then broke into small groups and played Headbanz with the children. They were pretty good at guessing the animal on their head by only asking yes/no questions.
This kept our charges busy for the hour. When their teachers returned they were excited to give them each a turn at the game. Oh the fun! Oh the giggles. We left the class to continue on their day, everyone accounted for, and teachers feeling appreciated.
I love visiting the girls’ classrooms. I feel so at ease in a classroom. When I’m asked if I miss it, I always answer the same. I miss the moments. The fun, the excitement, the intrigue. I love seeing something “click” in a young mind. I love the love the youngest ones have for school. I love the magic. But, I don’t miss the parents (yes, I said that!). The paperwork. The bureaucracy. I don’t miss being treated like someone’s “help” or just another part of their household staff. As times goes by, teachers are treated with less respect. Meanwhile, they love our children. Care for them and genuinely worry about their well-being. They would lay down their lives for our children. Where would we be without our teachers? Everyone has a favorite teacher. They changed/change our lives.
In my eye, every single day, is teacher appreciation day.
No comments:
Post a Comment