At least eight times per week, Loran shows me the next car he’s going to purchase. Most of the time, it’s whatever is on the cover of his latest Road and Track magazine, or in some other men’s publication. Unless the featured car is a minivan, he’s alarmingly silent on those days. However, more often than not, he threatens to buy a Porsche. Not new, that would be foolish. And I insist it seats all of us, and we’re not fond of convertibles (I wouldn’t want to ruin my mom-ponytail), oh, and I want to be able to drive it…so automatic transmission. Realistically, he’ll drive his ‘04 Audi until it falls apart. (It’s at the mechanic as I type this!) Make that, bursts into flames on the side of the road. It’s already falling apart. But, it’s still got a lot of spirit, looks good, drives fast, and best of all, is paid for!
It’s taken me awhile to come over to the Porsche fan club (apparently, I’m not a super fan because spell check keep helping me spell P.o.r.s.c.h.e.). But Loran actually found a car he wanted to test drive. Because I’ve been on test drives with him before, I knew what to expect – haha….funny story, the first time we test drove something when we were barely married, I was nearly in tears because I thought we were buying this car that I hated. Apparently, negotiating and then walking away was fun for younger Loran. Now I just roll with it. Nor does he start negotiating any more. We’ve both grown.
The Saturday before Father’s Day, we drove across town to test drive a car. I got my first introduction to a Porsche (must stop spelling it like porch). I have to admit, aside from being tiny, like I felt like I was stepping around a toy left on the ground, it was cute and fun. Nice features (I mean, it should, right?!).
The family test drive hinged on the car seats. We brought our narrower seats, and with a lot of finagling, they were secured into the “back seat”. I approved their installation and we put the girls in. Lily was fine because she’s smaller and I could move my seat up so my knees touched the dash (comfy), but Ella was a little less comfy because Loran couldn’t have the steering wheel wedged in his abdomen so he had to move the seat back. Luckily, Ella’s kneecaps fit into her eye sockets perfectly. I kid. I kid. Sort of.
Loran kept it civil. He stuck to mostly residential streets, mostly because we didn’t know the area well enough to take her on the open road and get back within a reasonable amount of time. There was some squealing from the back seat, and a few from the passenger seat. We stopped at a nearby mall to get some photos.
Once it was safely tucked back in at the dealership, we loaded back into the mom-mobile and Ella vetoed the car based on the lack of leg room. We tried to convince her that we’d get the special car seats designed for the car, but she doesn’t seem to be budging. That’s my girl!
Maybe someday a Porsche will take up a small part of our garage. It’s really a toss up as to the make and model of the next possible Loran-mobile. Until then, the Audi lives on, thanks to our awesome mechanic.
The next day was Father’s Day. Our church had all kinds of motorized vehicles on display. From fire trucks to hot rods, it was a man’s paradise. Except if you’re Lily. She fell in love with those Gators. She and Loran will have to hit the roads together. Ella and I will enjoy the vehicles with a little less oomph.
A great, testosterone-laden Father’s Day weekend for all. Even some of the gifts were car related. Once Monday rolled around, we were back to our regularly-scheduled pink and purple, glitter-filled life. But, we had a great weekend celebrating the best Dad two little Gutt girls could have. A dad who teaches the girls all kinds of things, some pretty advanced and random things, but that’s how Jeopardy games are won. A dad who is happy to dress Barbies and baby dolls. Stepped up to change the first diapers and give the first bath and didn’t stop there. A dad who provides his girls with their little-girl wishes like horse lessons and lacrosse sticks, but also keeps them grounded by having them do jobs and lead dinner-time prayers.
There was a moment when we were dating that made me fall in love with Loran. It was a moment that let me see the kind of father he would be. He had zero experience with small children, but one night we were at his parent’s house late after being out. They were dog-sitting his aunt and uncle’s dog. She was in a crate, but whining a little. Loran got down on the floor, let her out, laid with her and soothed her. I just about died. Fast forward five years to when he is holding his newborn daughter, soothing her. That is a true man. Happy Father’s Day. (a month late in the blogosphere!)
Loran with his baby girls.
No comments:
Post a Comment