Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Morgan’s Wonderland!

Back when we had a three day weekend in September, we decided on a whim to book a hotel room in San Antonio for Sunday evening and visit Morgan’s Wonderland on Monday. We enjoyed some parks around San Antonio we haven’t been to yet, and the girls really enjoyed the hotel pool and dinner buffet…who are we kidding? Loran and I also enjoyed the pool and buffet. We were a little nervous our fun trip would be cancelled because Lily got sick on Saturday, but she rallied and was ready to go by Sunday morning. That’a girl.

IMG_2353IMG_2362IMG_2368

It’s like Japan! In San Antonio!

Monday morning, we were off to Morgan’s Wonderland. Oh the excitement! Loran and the girls had been there when I was out of town in May, so I was really excited to check it out. Think of it as an amusement park (Valleyfair, Six Flags, etc) where everyone can play! Where other parks accommodate individuals with special needs/disabilities, this park was built with them in mind. Everything is fun, everything is accessible, everything is amazing!

IMG_20140901_101816575_HDR

I’m not going to lie. I got a little choked up when I entered. What a concept. First thing the girls wanted to do? Ride the train. A nice little loop around the park to get the lay of the land.

IMG_20140901_103108842

Then, we had to visit Pirate Island, which is where they would have stayed the entire time. The playground is really fun, there’s a fishing wharf and water cannons, so really, what else do you need?

IMG_20140901_104319473IMG_20140901_110602737_HDRIMG_20140901_111938200IMG_20140901_111945626_HDRIMG_20140901_112944495IMG_20140901_113001455

IMG_20140901_140400915IMG_20140901_140445956_HDRIMG_20140901_142623264_HDR

Since we’re in Texas, the park has everything you need to enjoy it from April-September: misters and shade canopies everywhere. There are several large playgrounds, a huge sandbox, cars you can drive, a water play area, picnic pavilions, a gym, the train…

…we found our way to the carousel. The awesome part? Ride all you want? Since they weren’t super busy, we would just switch animals and ride over and over and over and over again. Seriously, we rode that carousel so many times I can’t even count. I can’t even remember the last time I actually sat on a carousel animal rather than just hang onto a kid. It made me happy.

IMG_20140901_113552949IMG_20140901_123817608

And when you get hot and need a break from being outside? Head indoors to the indoor play area, Sensory Village. It features a cool room where you can play with light, a mechanic shop, a horse stable, television station and the place where we basically camped out? The grocery store.

IMG_20140901_132024927IMG_20140901_132047259

Another amazing feature of the park? The GPS wrist band. The girls thought they had a cool watch on, their wristband was linked to my band. If you happen to have a runner in your group, go to a kiosk in the park, scan your wrist band, and it will show you where in the park your other members are. Awesome!

IMG_20140901_104611228IMG_20140901_131653791

We lasted through mid-afternoon before our group tired out. On our way out, we learned the park plans to expand and add a water park! Sweet!!

IMG_20140901_161644199_HDR

Seriously, if you have a child (probably age 2-10 for typically developing) and live in the Austin/San Antonio area, you need to go and support this amazing place. And if you have a special needs family member/friend, they get in free! How awesome is that? If we lived closer, I’d definitely be volunteering there just to add to my over-commitment problem!

No comments: