Thursday, January 1, 2015

Onto 2015

Perhaps you’ve noticed I haven’t written much. Or really, anything since September (?). If that makes you sad, sorry. If that makes you relieved, you’re welcome!

I’d come to a point in blogging where I needed a break. While I’ve loved what I’ve written and how it’s touched others, I felt I needed to retool and refocus. Honestly, it’s been nice to not have the weight of “I should write a blog about this” on my mind, but the blog was always there, tugging at a part of my brain. How could I stop writing all together after seven years.

I’ve attended blog conferences about how to expand and monetize my blog, and decided that wasn’t really my aim. I don’t care to obtain a bunch of followers, be picked up by Huff Post, get featured on the Today Show, or have product sponsorships. The thought of having to post a certain number of posts, scheduled out to fulfill a contract doesn’t appeal to me. I just wanted a written and pictorial record, however real, of my life during a time when memories turn into a blur.

We’ve done some really cool things in the last three months; including a Disney World surprise and trip! We’ve done some pretty cool but routine things; seriously, how many times can I blog about Halloween? It all turns out the same in the end, and frankly, after six years of blogging Halloween, it gets boring.

But truth be told, as I thought about my blogging future, a thought kept coming into my mind…this is not necessarily my story to tell any longer. There comes a time that I have to be sensitive to my children’s feelings of having their lives broadcast in a public forum. However, I don’t have to be as sensitive about broadcasting my own feelings, personal situations and parenting situations over a public forum when I control what’s being written.

In the new year, the blog will be less Two Little Gutt Girls and more Mom of the Two Little Gutt Girls focused. Vain? Maybe. IT’S ALL ABOUT ME! But not really. I have a lot of experiences that may mirror others. Maybe I can be a source of inspiration, of strength, and of course, laughs. If there’s one thing I’m good at, it’s writing with bluntness and humor.

Will I not write about the girls? How could I not! They’re a huge part of my life, but I’ll protect their stories a bit more since they aren’t mine. How can I write about parenting without mentioning my children? I can’t. So they’ll still be represented, but it’s no longer all about them.

I have a feeling 2015 is going to be a big year for me. Not necessarily in the broad sense, but my heart is stirring with some new ideas. It could be the fact that I’m now 35 and I’m starting to not really give a rip about what others think I should be, and I am now caring more about who I really am. It’s as if there’s a little movement stirring inside of me. It’s more thought driven than spicy food driven. It’s an interesting place to be.

Stay tuned…

No comments: