Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Daddy and Mommy on Vacation

We went to New Orleans this past weekend to celebrate Loran's birthday. It was great weather, great food and lots of sight seeing for us. Ella on the other hand, got a cold. But, she is on the mend and seems to be getting four new teeth. The two top eye teeth and two bottom molars. That would make tooth 11, 12, 13 and 14. All in all, she's in good spirits. Just a little drippy.

Loran and I were up at the bright hour of 3 am to catch our early flight. While it was a beast to get up so early, especially considering some of us aren't morning people (that would be me). The bonus was that we were in New Orleans by 10:30, even after a layover in Memphis. We started our day in NO by stopping at Cafe Reconcile - which is a program for at-risk youth to learn about and experience the hospitality business first hand. The menu is limited, but good. Plus, it's a great program to support. Just don't go expecting top notch, prompt service - they're learning!

We took a walking tour of the Garden District which included Lafayette Cemetery. There were so many interesting things to see and learn. It was a beautiful stroll through a wonderful neighborhood. Our tour guide, Ellen, a native of NO was a hoot.


Being the party animals we are, and the fact we'd been up since 3 am. Loran and I were in bed, sleeping at 9:30 after a great dinner at Luke. We lucked out because when we entered the restaurant, it was packed. But, a good portion of patrons were off to the Eagles concert, so they cleared out quickly and we got a cozy little table for two.

The next morning, we were up by 7 am for more touring and exploring!

Loran enjoys his coffee alongside a busy Mississippi River before our walking tour of the French Quarter given by the National Park Service. We had another great tour guide (originally from Iowa) and learned a lot about the area's history.

Loran and I by Jackson Square and St. Louis Cathedral. We then made a stop for some famous Beignets at Cafe Du Monde. Later followed by an incredible Muffaleta from Central Grocery. YUM!


People were starting to get decorated for Mardi Gras - one month away!




Saturday night, we had some amazing soul food at a restaurant called Praline Connection. It was SO GOOD! We then wandered over a few blocks to a jazz club called The Spotted Cat. They had music going and we really enjoyed this jazz trio called Washboard Chaz Jazz Trio. They were great. I even bought their CD.

This is Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's house - our tour guide told us where to find it - unnumbered. We were told there would be a guard outside if they were there. No guard was present however. It's pretty large by French Quarter standards.

Loran and I also went to an open house in the French Quarter. It was a tiny little loft apartment that consisted of a living room/kitchen and bathroom. So, your bedroom would be your couch. It was well done and had a cute little courtyard. As a vacation property, it would be nice - but not as an everyday house when you have an Ella.

How could you resist that little face? If we could have taken him on the flight, and been assured he wouldn't eat our cat or baby, we'd have a new dog.

I was very excited to get back to see our little girl. Our flight was rather uneventful - and then...someone smoked on the plane! Who does that?! And the kicker, I was the only person who'd seen him come from the bathroom. So, I was the eye witness. The plane captain threatened whoever had done it that we knew who it was, and if it happened again, we were landing at the nearest airport and they would be met at the gate by an agent. The man was questioned in MSP, but eventually left without incident. We had to hang by the gate in case I needed to identify him. So much for getting in early...



But of course, I can't end an Ella blog without a picture of Ella! I'm starting to incorporate a spoon into her meals for her own use. If I preloaded it with her spaghetti, she was able to get some in her mouth - the rest...well...as usual, she's a work in progress!

3 comments:

Loran said...

Here is our new house!

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1141-Royal-Street-Unit-C_New-Orleans_LA_70116_1105814172

Midwestgirl said...

I am a tad jealous... I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. And as for your bedroom being your couch, I live in a studio and absolutely love it. Because it is all mine. And lastly, new house? Have you moved?

Christy Gutt said...

Noooo...that's the condo in NO! :)

I think the condo was great, but not really for our life stage. The three of us, plus cat and bird would kill one another. It wouldn't be pleasant!