Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ella Talks - kinda

Ella is picking up a few words here and there. Yesterday I was singing "Old McDonald" to her and she said "E-I-E-I-O" while we were singing and a few times after. This morning we were singing it and she was silently mouthing it and then it's like she was trying to sing along - in Ella harmony.

Here's a little video of her talking. I especially like the little chuckle at 26 seconds.



Alright, here's my mommy freak-out/happy(?) rant corner...
As you all know, Ella doesn't crawl, doesn't pull up, doesn't go from sitting to laying or vice versa, hates rolling (but can), doesn't walk, but can stand holding on to something. While she's still considered normal developmentally, she's getting onto the edge. Her muscles are fine, she just seems to have a motivation problem.

Anyway, the doctor is having her come in at 13.5 mos for a check of her weight and progression on pulling up.

The early childhood teacher pulled me aside after class to see if I'd be interested in meeting with the physical therapist to have Ella observed and learn some moves we can teach her at home. Stressing that most kids just need to learn some tricks on how to move, it's not a big deal, Ella would learn to walk/pull up regardless, but this would help her out.

The teacher in me is totally on board with all of this. I know in my head that it's a great step to take, it's totally painless and will help Ella in her quest to become mobile. It's totally covered by the district and that's why they are there, to provide services to children.

The mom in me feels so bad. Like it's my fault she can't crawl, pull up or walk. What did I do wrong? She's so smart it seems, but why can't she move like everyone else? :(

But overall, I want her to have the best quality of life, and I feel not being able to move at this age is starting to hinder that. She's so studious and would love to be able to get into things and study them and see how things work. You can just see it in her eyes that she longs to crawl around on the mats with the other kids her age. It kills me. So, obviously, this provides her with the boost she needs to get that quality of life a 13 month old deserves. It's about time she becomes a pain in the butt like every other one year old and keep me on my toes...and the cat!

Why is motherhood so guilt-ridden?

1 comment:

Ami Paulsen said...

Oh Christy. You haven't done a thing wrong. Some kids just progress differently. I personally envy Ella's ability to eat solid food and drink from a sippy cup. Perhaps we should get Ella and Simon together for an afternoon and they can teach each other their skills.
I know what you mean about motherhood being guilt-ridden; but the most important thing is for our little ones to feel loved. I see all your pictures and videos of Ella and can just tell she is a very happy little girl.