Friday, March 20, 2009

The Mom Scouts

Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts get to earn badges for doing or learning great things, going above and beyond the call of duty and achieving new feats. Moms (and Dads) do this every single day. Where are my merit badges?

Yesterday, I earned the 'poop removal badge'. This is different from the 'I was pooped on' badge (which I earned a year ago). The poop removal badge is earned when you have to do a little pulling, while your child does a little pushing and together, you get the job done.

Some of the badges I've come up with so far:
- Disney Survival badge
- First Shots badge
- Vomited-on badge
- Stitches badge
- First Date badge
- Driver's License badge
- First Training Bra/Nut Cup badge
- First Shiner badge
- Squirmy Haircut badge
- Sex Talk badge
- Paid-off Braces badge
- Breast Feeding Attempt badge
- First Day of School badge
- Baking 100 Cupcakes the Night Before the Bake Sale badge
- Teething badge

I could keep going...this is kinda fun. Add your own. If I could earn these badges, I'd wear them proudly - I do in my heart as a mommy.

15 months ago today, I held baby Ella for the first time. I started this adventure of strange lessons, activities and motions we go through as parents. Wow. Everyday there are challenges, triumphs and failures. Some days, we live minute by minute - other days, we're going day by day. I sure love this little girl.

This morning, we sat together for the first time and watched Sesame Street. There was a whole segment about jumping and Ella was transfixed by Elmo and crew jumping around. I helped Ella jump around and we had a great time.

Being a mom is hard, and I would have earned a lot of badges by now. But, jumping around with Ella, staring into those beautiful blue eyes and watching her learn new things - knowing the whole world is in those chubby hands is amazing. This doesn't diminish how much I love Ella's nap time. :) However, her awake time is pretty neat too.

Sticker Girl



Not quite ready to eat with a spoon yet.

Birthday!

2 comments:

Ami Paulsen said...

I love this! I totally agree with the badges, but as moms, there wouldn't be a fetching brown vest large enough to accommodate all our badges. But if we can't have badges, we at least deserve free girl-scout cookies.
You totally summed up being a mom at the end. I used to feel guilty that I loved Simon's nap time, but I soon got over the guilt. I love Simon more than I knew was possible; being with him makes me happy; he is the bright spot in my life. That said, I treasure nap time. :)

Larsica said...

What a great post, I can totally relate. Although, I'm not sure I understand this poop removal badge, what exactly are you pulling on? Hmmm, not sure I want to know...
I would add:
-teeny baby nail clipping badge
-potty training badge
-birthday party badge
-finding something my kid will eat and not throw on the floor badge