Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Fishing for Mothers and Governors

It was an exciting weekend in the Bear. The Governor's Fishing Opener was held in our fine town, on our fine lake. It was the first time the opener has ever been on a metro lake so there was a media frenzy. My friends, who were on the committee of said event, did such an awesome job making it community friendly and really showcased our awesome town. It was a blast!

Friday started with a shocking discovery. A missing sippy cup was found. Rejoicing? Yes. Disgusting? Absolutely. The cup went missing about a week prior. I'd searched the house (I'd thought), every bag/purse I use, both cars, church nursery room - nothing. I was thinking that I'd left it at Ella's school and was chalking it up as permanently missing. Until...I noticed the bookshelf in the dining room was a little crooked, so I pushed it back towards the wall. The movement dislodged the cup that was stuck underneath. It's a bad sign when the milk doesn't roll fluidly with the cup. Ewww! But, it's one of the sippy cup tops that I love, so I wasn't about to let it go down without a fight. I donned some elbow length rubber gloves and dumped the chunk of milk into the grass and then sprayed it with the hose - I'm sure I was quite the site to the neighbors who were out building a deck. It took a good hosing, bleaching and two washings, but we're back to normal now.
Public Enemy #1 (I should have photoshopped some stink lines)

Friday afternoon, Ella was rudely awoken from her nap to attend a beach dedication. I was attending at a Historical Society board member. Ella was bringing the cute. When the governor showed up, he came right over to Ella to see her. She had wild hair and a sassy attitude, but we got some pictures nonetheless.Photo op with Governor Pawlenty

Taking photos isn't easy with my "helper" as Ella censors out the mayor.

Beach Dedicated.

Later in the day was a huge community picnic. Kind of like Marketfest, but with free food! Famous Daves...mmmm....! :) There were news personalities hovering all over - literally, some were hovering - in helicopters! While securing our place in line for free BBQ, I noticed that local anchorman (KARE 11), Mike Pomeranz was standing right next to Ella and I doing a live shot. I tried to be "that person" who's desperately trying to call anyone to tell them to turn channel 11 on. No one was home at my few chosen calls. So even though I'd angled Ella perfectly to be in the shot, no one would know - except random people we don't even know. Unfortunately, we didn't win the pontoon boat raffle, which means you're not invited to our Pontoon Party 09. Bummer.

Local Celebrity! Mike Pomeranz and First Lady Mary Pawlenty. Check out that gutted fish!

Saturday was the actual opener. I woke up to the sound of helicopters buzzing around. We took a great walk around town and ended up at Kathy and Rob's house where we visited with everyone and watched boats go back and forth. Unfortunately, there was a pee explosion and we didn't have any diapers. But, Kathy had some leftover Pull-ups from a previous visitor. Never mind that they were rated 32-40 pounds...we made it work, with the help of duct tape!

It's not stylish, but she makes it work.

Sunday, Mother's Day, we headed over to Tartan Park for a 3M Mother's Day brunch. The food was great. The reason I was a mother...not so much. Ella apparently woke up on the wrong side of the crib. Even after sleeping in, she was being a little bear. Eventually, she ended up playing on the floor by our table which occupied her long enough for us to eat in somewhat peace.


"My hair is camouflaged in the carpet!"

Monday we had to go to the doctor's to get a Hib shot. I was a little nervous, given Ella's latest performances at the doctor - but, she was all happy and quite the chatter box. Even while being weighed - no crying and throwing up! She's now a whopping 21.5 pounds! So, she's gained a pound in a month and a half! The butter industry should be proud! Go Butter! The shot went well, only minimal crying and we were off!
"I kind of hate you right now, MOM."

Trying to learn how to eat with a spoon and not throw the bowl overboard. Note, spoon is nowhere to be found...

She could be the spokesbaby for applesauce. But not for spoon feeding.

And to end on the fishing theme - there are still fish in our lake, heavier than Ella.

No comments: