Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Zoos and Dates and Ducks

On Monday, Ella, Chelsey and I went to the MN Zoo. It was a perfect day - warm, sunny and near 70 degrees. There were many strollers, but it still felt as thought we had some of the exhibits to ourselves.


Ella enjoyed watching the gibbons swing from branch to branch. But, the best animal had to be the wolverine. Wolverine you ask? Every time I've been at the zoo, they've been little furry piles, sleeping away. Not the most interesting animal. Not even top ten. Today, they were clearly the winners. When we came upon them, they were wrestling and running around like crazy. But eventually, this one wolverine started running back and forth and then hopping in front of us. It was hilarious!




Ella was so excited. She called many of the animals "CAT!!" Including, actual cats. Of course, the trip couldn't be perfect. Lunch wasn't our strongest hour. Ella was dozing off in her stroller as we rolled up to our chosen table, a nice table by the window overlooking a pond. But of course, the hoard of horrible moms had to come sit right next to us. You know, the young ones who beat their children when they do things - anything. Then yell at them and throw the F-bomb around. Really?! If I wanted to take my daughter out for a day of cursing, we would have gone to Northtown Mall. This is even funnier when Chelsey recognized one of them as having gone to middle school with her. Which means this mom of a 2 year old was my sister's age. So, she was maybe 20 and had dropped out of Mom of the Year contention about two years prior I'm guessing. To top off the lunchtime fun wherein there was much swearing (from the other table), Ella wasn't eating and would much rather throw her food on the ground. Then, while bending over to see said food, she hit her head on the table. Twice. TEARS! And the Moms of the Year actually look over to me with a stink eye because of my crying child!?!?! Probably because I wouldn't haul out and beat her for being hurt.

Chelsey and I took bets as to when Ella would pass out. Chelsey won, having guessed 20 minutes after lunch. Ella was sacked out and missed seeing all of the farm animals, including the baby farm animals and completely slept through Grizzly Coast and the Northern Trail. But, woke right up when it was time to load into the car, and looked around, seemingly confused as to why we were leaving.


Tuesday was a very exciting day. It was a no cooking day! Well, not quite. I made Ella some french toast for breakfast, which she loved. But for lunch, we met Great Grandma and Grandpa and Chelsey at Perkins. And for dinner, we had a date with Loran. Loran took his girls out to Old Spaghetti Factory. We had a fun dinner. Ella devoured her apple sauce, then proceeded to throw her spaghetti on the floor - we cleaned up after her, and tipped heartily.

Ella ended up eating cheese and pears upon arriving home, before bed. But, before arriving home, Loran took us to see the mommy duck who has made residence in a flower pot near our dentist's office. I was thinking she might be a little more discreet. Nope, she's right out there in a giant pot right on the sidewalk! No cover, nothing nearby. I thought she was kind of dumb, until I saw that her nest has been furnished with corn, bread and a bowl of water. Perhaps she wasn't so dumb after all. Her bravery has paid off.

No comments: