Monday, November 2, 2009

Ellasaur

The big Halloween night has come and gone and left in its wake are candy wrappers, barely worn costumes and rotting pumpkins. This year, Ella started to understand Halloween and had a blast with it. Next year will probably be even crazier!

We carved pumpkins early in the week. Unfortunately, Ella's larger pumpkin had already started to turn mushy, but we still had our little pumpkin. Ella wasn't too keen on touching the innards, or really participating, but she did enjoy rolling the pumpkin around the floor and tearing up the newspaper. Both important jobs.




Ella was a dinosaur and really enjoyed playing the part. She could roar on command and once the costume went on, it was as if a new Ella came out. She'd start stalking around the house and roaring like a little dinosaur. It was pretty funny.




I drove her over to the grandparents' houses in the afternoon and she filled her bucket between the two houses. We headed home afterward to have some dinner while the trick-or-treaters poured in. Ella went to a couple of houses in the neighborhood and then we headed over to my cousin Jake's 18th birthday party/Halloween party. Jake was born during the Halloween Blizzard of '91 - a pretty neat birthday all around. I was worried that Ella would be scared of all of the teenagers in costume. Instead, she turned into a party animal. She'd slowly creep down the hall towards the living room where a majority of the kids were. Then she'd turn around and check in. Eventually, she made it to the end of the hall, stopped, took a deep breath and just barreled into the center of the action - and loved it. I wouldn't let her stay in the depths of the party because I wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't get trampled. I'm guessing most 17/18 year olds aren't looking for a three foot dinosaur in their path. We had to cut party girl off around 9:30 because she was starting to get a little sassy.

Ella likes to sort through her candy and treats

Suddenly, our house is getting into potty training. We weren't expecting this turn of events, but now Ella is starting to announce her pottying before it happens. So, we're going to order a potty chair from amazon.com and we've picked out some big girl underwear (Elmo themed of course) and stickers. I'm not too gung ho about this - so we'll be pretty relaxed about the whole thing for now. I thought we'd start next summer. There was even a temper tantrum in Target today while picking out underwear - Ella figured out how to open the package and really wanted to take all seven pairs out of the package to inspect them. When this couldn't happen and I started packing them back in, the screaming ensued. Good fun. Toddler!!


Ella's first sucker! It took her a few tries to get used to it, but for every lick she took, she shared with me...it was extra yummy with extra drool!

Tomorrow is our mid pregnancy class/diabetes test/doctor's appointment and follow up ultrasound. Big day! I'm so excited to not have to drink the glucola - I think I'll pack myself a pb&j, yogurt and juice...a tasty breakfast that won't make my heart race or make me break into sweats.

I can definitely tell the second trimester is waning. :( I'm getting tired a bit easier. Getting winded going up and down the stairs and yesterday we had to leave church service and sit outside in the cafe because I was having hot flashes. I felt totally fine otherwise, just sweaty. And there's still three and a half months left....on the other hand...there's ONLY three and a half months left and that's freaking me out!

1 comment:

Ami Paulsen said...

She's the cutest dinosaur I've ever seen! Good job starting the potty training.
P.S. Most things in our house are Elmo-themed too.