Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hopping at the OB

Today was a busy day for our little household. We were all up early and out of the door by 7am. With a quick stop to vote, we dropped Ella off at daycare and Loran and I were off to a morning of obstetric fun. Today's visit consisted of the glucose test, follow up ultrasound, mid pregnancy class and doctor's visit. But here's how that well oiled machine actually worked...

8:10 arrival/check-in -> 8:20 blood draw to check fasting blood sugar -> quickly wolf down breakfast (pb&j, yogurt and milk) -> 8:40 ultrasound (confirm child is still a girl but she won't cooperate to get decent heart photos (again)) -> 9:30 mid-pregnancy class (Lily moves constantly) -> 10:20 leave class to get follow up blood draw for glucose test, then get unexpected H1N1 shot, then get called in for another ultrasound, then lose husband somewhere in the office, find husband in ultrasound room -> 10:30 ultrasound (Lily still facing my back and won't move) ->10:40 Doctor's visit (measuring right on, Lily kicks fetal heart doppler several times) -> 10:50 back to class -> 10:52 called out of class to have question answered by billing specialist -> 10:53 back to class -> 10:55 class wraps up -> leave class with arms full of free samples.

So what did we take away from all of this, aside from free samples? Well...if we thought Ella was a lazy, laid back baby...Lillian trumps that. During the ultrasound, she was completely chill. She stretched, yawned and relaxed the entire time. No amount of rolling or poking on our part was going to rouse her. She's still a girl, as evidenced by the very clear shots we got of her swimsuit area. My placenta is no longer low laying, which means we can travel to Disney in December! I passed my glucose test which means I don't have diabetes. Lillian will kick and move when the spotlight is not on her, or when someone is bugging her with a heart doppler, but can't actually see her. We missed a lot of the class, so I'm trusting that mid to late pregnancy hasn't changed that much in two years. In the end, the baby still comes out one way or another... So there is a chance that I will have to go in for another ultrasound to get better heart measurements.

Loran and I went out to a Chinese buffet afterward to celebrate my victory over the glucose challenge. It was quite yummy. We then went to the library and perused books on Disney and I loaded up on Elmo DVDs for his business trip. Then we took a leisurely walk along Lake Phalen until it was time to pick Ella up at 2 from daycare.

Ella had a great time and was on the climber when we got there. One of two children at the center - of five total for the day, she had plenty of attention. She even got to see a baby chick which she seemed to enjoy. Unfortunately, she napped for 20 minutes there. We drove Loran to the airport for his trip...no napping. Then, she fell asleep about a block from our house. I tried to move her to the crib, which ended up unsuccessful. Ella ended up going to school tonight having been up since 6:45a and having napped for less than a half hour. I braced myself for the worst. And shockingly, for nothing. Ella got to school and was the life of the party - tearing around the gym, playing, socializing - it was great! When we returned from our parenting session, she had a mouth full of play dough and later ate some of the feed corn that was in the sensory table. Life of the party. Then it was home, jammies, milk and bedtime - a half hour early even! Not for me, obviously...

Lazy Lillian continues to be healthy and stubborn. Ella has a potty chair en route via Amazon. I'm healthy and able to process sugar. Loran's in Seattle, even after his flight was listed on NWA as delayed: aircraft damage - weather (what does that mean?!) It's raining. I'm tired. Ella and I have nothing scheduled for tomorrow until we pick Loran up from the airport.



1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh my lord what a busy day you had!!!!!!!

We are going to Disney in March!