Loran has been in Seattle again on business. I'm getting pretty used to the drill by now and it's less traumatic when he leaves. We have a little schedule going and Lily sleeps better. Of course, it wouldn't be real life unless there was some sort of small catastrophe or more...
Tuesday morning, I got up early, was doing well on time and was slated to arrive to Bible study early. Yes, early. I couldn't manage to do that before Lily was born, imagine my elation this week! But, the best laid plans went awry when I had both girls and gear loaded into the car only to turn the key and have nothing in response. Not even a click. This was one dead battery. Apparently, Loran had turned the dome light on to get some stuff from the car before we left for Wisconsin on Saturday morning and forgotten to turn it off. This isn't the first time that's happened and won't be the last, I'm sure. Feeling somewhat defeated, I realize, hey, it's not that bad. In fact, I actually have the Audi to fall back on. Normally, when Loran would leave on business, he'd park his car at the airport. But, since we rented a car to go to Wisconsin, he drove that back to the airport. Granted. the Audi had no car seats in it, but that was as good of time as any to learn how to use LATCH. So, everything and everyone shifted to the other car and we were now about ten minutes late. But, we were going! Midway through study, I was holding Lily and she felt wet. Sometimes it's hard to know if she's wet wet, or just sweat wet from sitting in her car seat. This was even worse, it was poop wet. :( Sadly, I didn't have a change of clothes for Lily, so she had to sit through the rest of study sans pants. And oddly enough, when we returned home from study, we had to wait to approach the garage because a wild turkey was strutting around our driveway. That's just weird, given our sprawling land...50 ft by 150 ft.
Loran arrives home today, but not before Lily goes to the doctor for her two month check up. This visit comes with shots. Many shots. Hopefully she's not too scarred after this visit and has the same happy spirit Ella always had after shots.
This last weekend, we rented a Jeep Commander to take to Wisconsin. I made good use of the giant on Friday and picked up a couple of craigslist items. A Cozy Coupe and a jogging stroller. Now we have six strollers and I regret none of them! Friday evening there was a bit of a snafu while making dinner which landed us at a Chinese buffet. Ella really lived up the buffet experience and ate a ton. This was good since she's still free! Unfortunately, there was another pants casualty as Ella was apparently sitting on a rogue piece of red jello. So, once again, another Gutt child was pantsless.
We had a great visit. Ella was her charming self. Counting, reciting ABCs and the periodic table. She kept us laughing with her joy over the clock chiming every fifteen minutes. Both girls were well behaved throughout the day and at dinner. Then came bedtime.
The Grandparents go to bed quite early - but our standards. So when everything was closing down at 9 pm, I had a feeling we were in for a long night in the little guest room. Ella was not ready for bed, even though we cuddled and read with her. She kept chatting with us and was trying to figure out how to escape the Pack n Play. Lily was thrown off by her lack of Pack n Play usage and was also not ready for bed. Once both children were settled in around 11:30, we drifted off to sleep. Ella in a Pack n Play that she's a little too big for and three of us in a full size bed that we were a little too big for. Then, Lily woke up at 12:30. She then proceeded to wake every 15 minutes until 3:30 because she kept knocking her pacifier out and was just generally agitated. Finally, around 5, she settled in, relaxed and fell asleep. So, I got about four hours of sleep total. Loran somehow missed the action between midnight and 3, despite the baby laying inches from his head. Dads are good at such things.
The map nerds in us had to follow the geological marker sign off the highway to see if it was indeed 45 degrees N and 90 degrees W - and it was!! Farm kids even waved at us as we drove by...I'm sure not a lot of people take the detour.
So we're back. The Grandparents are probably still recovering from the whirlwind that is the Gutt Girls. Gearing up for shots. One car down. One roaming turkey. One daddy in flight. We're all currently wearing pants and one of us might have pockets.
Lily is quite the little talker now. Love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment