I never really enjoyed nursing tremendously. But, I did feel the satisfaction of watching those little scrawny newborn legs plump up and seeing Lily's cheeks fill out and know that I had done that. Just me! I did enjoy cuddling my little baby. But the reality of having it actually end hit me a little harder than I expected. I burst into tears taking off that bracelet. I had to wait a few days before packing away other nursing accessories. When I quit nursing Ella, it was a piece of cake. I didn't have a nursing relationship with Ella, I had a nursing relationship with my Medela pump. And while quite efficient, it was pretty easy to say goodbye to that. The pump didn't have a hand. It's that plump little hand that I'm going to miss.
Every feeding, no matter how wiggly Lillian was, she always took her hand and rested it high on my chest. It was within kissing reach. Sometimes, she held onto my shirt, but that little hand was a constant. It's warmth and soft touch. Even when the feet were kicking away and I was being head-butted, the little hand was there. I can't replicate the reaching hand with bottle feeding. Lily will hold my fingers, but it's not quite the same. I debated putting this photo up, but decided the bathing suits in the Target ad show more cleavage than this. And it's my blog. So there!
Since Friday, I'm on a no hug policy. It's highly painful, but getting better. The weekend was tearful and icepack filled, I've even been using the cabbage leaves. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it works! So, I'm almost free from the physical aspects of motherhood...except that pull at my heart, but I'm told that will never go away.
This is not how I left Lily when I tucked her in, but this is how I found her at 5:30 am!

2 comments:
Awwww. So I know you were having a hard time getting her to take bottles, how did you finally do it? Just trying different brands and keeping at it? Kenna is refusing to take them now and it's getting frustrating...
I used to think it was unnecessary when someone had to experiment with different bottles and nipples to find the right one. Then I had to and realized babies wouldn't instinctively just eat from a bottle because it contained milk...eventually, after eating my own words, Lily settled on liking Playtex drop-in bottles with rubber nipples. Now she'll finally take silicon nipples too. But, once we found one she'd use, Loran would give her on bottle every night which we slowly increased as we weaned. It was just trial and error because she absolutely hated some bottles and the moment the Playtex hit her mouth, she had no issues so we went with it. So now I have Avent, Dr Brown's, Adiri and Breastflow sitting around - rejected.
Post a Comment