Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Girls’ Room

We’re now a week plus a few days into the girls sharing a room. Lillian no longer cries herself to sleep. However, they are a little more squirrely to get to bed. Because Lily’s been adjusting to the new sleeping arrangement and hours, she’s not sleeping as well or as long for nights or naps. The sleep deficit put her her fine form for a cold. She came down with her drippy cold complete with sad, watery eyes last Tuesday and was quick to pass it on to her sister. Lily spent one evening early in her cold sleeping with Loran and I. She did better than I thought she would, however, she needed to sleep perpendicular to Loran and I. She used my head as her pillow and Loran’s neck got her feet. Finally, around 3am, I had to rotate her. Besides having a wiggly, coughing roomie, Loran keeps getting up early for work and on the weekend awoke early naturally so he’s feeling somewhat run-down. Then, to top off the lameness, I hurt my back while changing the sheets on our bed Friday. That was totally lame. I bent over to tuck the sheet in and could hardly stand up straight again. But, our little nursing home is slowly rebounding. Loran and I have avoided the cold. The girls are getting over the cold and my back is about 97% normal. Which is good, because running starts TOMORROW!

So anyway…got off on a little tangent there.

005

The little roommates are doing well. The last few nights we’ve had to settle them back down several times. Last night, case in point – I had Ella laying in bed completely mellow and relaxed, almost in a daze from just having a bath, then reading together and chatting and doing bedtime prayers. During this time, Lily had been in bed and was laying down in the same mellow state when we came in the room to get Ella tucked in. Despite the fact that Ella and I weren’t doing anything exciting, Lily knew it was time to stir the pot. She went from her mellow state to standing and jumping in her crib, giant smile, showing off, trying to get Ella’s attention. She knows what will happen if she can get Ella’s attention…I thought there was no way we’d have a repeat of the last night. Ella was too tired, too calm. But, Lily kept stirring. In her case, a watched pot will boil. That pot is Ella. Ella went from being mellow and nearly catatonic to crazy, fun, entertainer in a matter of minutes. We can hear them up there banging around, laughing, giggling, screaming. Ella jumps on the bed, runs around in circles, falls down and who knows what else. Lily watches, cheers and eggs her on. They are quite the dynamic duo. It usually takes a couple of trips on both of our parts to get them settled, the furniture righted and Chewy and pacifier found.

 018 032

020 023

 025 026

No comments: