Thursday was the last day of ECFE classes. Ella’s class had a little program that Lily and I attended. Given Ella’s past performances with Garden of Hope, I didn’t go in with a lot of expectations of performance on Ella’s part. So far, she’s been really good at standing at her assigned spot and not causing a scene or making much of a peep. This is reminiscent of my choir career. Like mother, like daughter. I’d seen her teachers earlier in the day and they told me that she was a great participant and they wished they’d filmed her during practices. Still, not a lot of confidence that I’d see much from Ella.
Lily and I snagged some front row seats. Rain was pouring down outside and we sat, somewhat damp, ready for the performance. The mainstream children held the hand of one of their special ed friends and introduced them. Ella came in with her usual hand up to her face, surveying the crowd stance.
Slowly, she warmed up…the performance started with a rousing chorus of the ABC song…this was cute, yet slightly painful to listen to. It sort of sounded like a round, even though it wasn’t intended to be.
Followed by “Slippery Fish” which was a song that used to scare Ella for unknown reasons.
Then came a beanbag action song. Ella was starting to come out of her shell for that one.
I was already impressed with her level of participation. Then something miraculous happened. Ella burst out of her shell and went NUTS (for Ella). The next song was clearly her favorite. This is the Ella I see at home. The crazy, dancing, happy, giggly, silly girl!
I was in SHOCK! I think Lily was too. You can hear her voice on the video. “Nice jumping Ella!” And, her emerging bossy side, “Close your eyes!” Lily was so excited, she hugged Ella after the performance. I was crying. So much that Ella’s PT and OT gave me hugs. Part of it was my teacher genes. I could step into any classroom performance, anywhere, with strange children and teachers and probably get teary. Sometimes seeing kids at a bus stop gives me a little lump in the throat. So, to see my own child at a preschool program already set me up for tears. But to see my little Ella, my somewhat shy, awkward little girl who has had her struggles to be like other children her age, I was put over the edge. A happy edge!
After the program we enjoyed juice and cookies. Ella was able to show off her classroom, friends and teachers. It was fun to be there. Since she rides the bus, I’ve never really been in her classroom (shocking for me!). We had a great afternoon. Ella handed out gifts to her teachers and paras. To them, we are grateful for all they’ve done to help Ella grow and thrive.
We had our end of the year meeting with Ella’s teachers and therapists. They gave us some great ideas for summer, let us borrow some materials including the trike that Ella wheels around the school in. We’re so excited to see her riding. She has come so far. She’ll continue to attend her afternoon program and ride the bus next year, but it’s been so worth it. Both schools fill different niches in her learning and socialization and Ella is just blossoming. During our meeting, we were treated to a slide show of Ella doing some of her occupational and physical therapies throughout the school year. I then got to take the photo CD home. What a treat to see Ella outside of her home element.
Once we were home, we were finally able to see Ella on her trike. A month ago, she could hardly pedal! This summer is going to be FUN!
A year of Ella in Early Childhood Special Education
No comments:
Post a Comment