We’ve hit the stage where Lily actually cares about what she wears. Not that she matches or doesn’t look like a lunatic, she just wants beautiful dresses, sparkly things, big jewelry and other accessories. Those other accessories are typically rubber bracelets, tiaras and wands. Usually within a few minutes of waking, she has rooted through the bin of dress-up clothes and found a tutu and wand. She will change tutus/skirts throughout the day and at bedtime we remove whichever one she’s on to get her pajamas on. The neighbor gets a kick out of her style and the multiple dress changes throughout the day, additionally that she can be caught marching in a mud puddle while dressed “to the nines”.
Another thing that gets Lily all riled up – Christmas lights. I strung a short string of LED lights around Ella’s headboard. They act as their nightlight and are controlled by a timer. As long as the lights are on, they should be in bed. This has helped with some of our early mornings that were happening previously. Now the timer is set for 7:30 am and I don’t see Ella before. I also made an arrangement with some ferns in our firebox. Since our flue is collapsed and having a fire in the fireplace would be detrimental to our home owner’s insurance, it’s always been toy storage (which is admittedly creepy to keep your kid’s toys in the (clean) fireplace). I added some tiny lights to the ferns and Lily is beyond excited. Every morning when she sees the lights in the firebox, and every evening when she goes up to bed, she seems genuinely surprised to see the lights on. Each time, she squeals in delight and yells out, “Crimpmas lights!” The excitement she feels over lights on a string is contagious. I find myself pointing out patio lights and other seasonal uses of “Crimpmas lights” any time I see them as we drive in the evening…even when Lily isn’t in the car. It’s a little awkward.
Speaking of Lily…
Going into summer, Loran and I figured it wouldn’t be long before she’d be sporting a small cast on one of her limbs. So far, that hasn’t proven to be true, but we’re only half-way through. She’s covered in bumps and bruises, scabs and bandages. She’s a busy girl! Last week, she took an epic fall down the stairs. It actually happened in stages. First she slipped down the first few stairs unto the first landing. No biggie, it caught her by surprise but she popped up with a big smile on her face, pretty proud of herself. I heard the commotion on the steps and quickly came running to see her Olympic style stance on the landing, as if she’d just had a perfect gymnastics dismount. With her little chest puffed out and giant smile, she took that first step down the longest stretch of stairs and completely missed. Down she went, head over heels. More like face over heels. I jumped and caught her about half-way down. The problem with doing a 180 on the stairs is that your face hits pretty hard. Lily received her first bloody nose. With some cuddles and the help of a black washcloth, Lily was back to her usual death-defying ways in no time. If only all problems could be solved with a black washcloth.
Lily quote of the week
I was driving and Lily was just talking to herself. The stream of consciousness of a two year old is pretty hilarious and I’m glad I was paying attention. Ella was sleeping and Lily was just lounging, looking out the window as it rained. Amidst her chatting I picked up this little gem: “My daddy is at work. Dad will come home to the new house, then we will eat butter.” This kid loves her butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment