An age-old question…
Last night, as we were having dinner, Ella was standing next to me telling a story (because Ella and Lily hardly use the chairs we’ve provided them) when I noticed something was amiss in her mouth. I stopped her story and had her open wide…
Me: “Where is your tooth?”
Ella: “I lost it”
Me: “When did you lose it??”
Ella: “When I was eating my ice cream (pineapple smoothie), it was just in my mouth and went down with my food.” She also made some hand motions and sound effects.
Me: ….
This is just a classic Ella thing to do. Only Ella would eat her tooth, not really care that she ate her tooth and then fail to mention that a part of her body fell off and was just ingested.
Ella had to write the Tooth Fairy a note, explaining the situation we were in. She dictated the note, the “chomped” part made us laugh. I made her a celebratory lunch to commemorate her first lost tooth.
The Tooth Fairy left behind a glittery dollar bill and six quarters* (because Ella’s six) along with a note and a receipt for the tooth…and glitter, so much glitter…
Ella left her note on the counter where she eats breakfast. As I tucked her in, I was also left with implicit instructions not to “run over the Tooth Fairy!” Not sure what she was thinking might happen, but I was on notice.
The next morning, it was very easy to get Ella up for school. She quickly dressed and then instructed me not to go into the kitchen before her. Lily (who typically sleeps another hour and a half) was also wide awake and ready to see the haul.
The sparkly dollar was very well received. It was as simple as a dollar + Modge Podge + glitter. It may not have been legal, but I’m not sure it will ever be spent, it’s pretty magical. And perfect for the first lost tooth, even if it was eaten.
The tooth chomping did solve the quandary I was having with what we’d do with her tooth when it was eventually lost. It felt sad to just throw it away, but gross to keep it. I mean, the first baby tooth…awww…but the though of having shed body parts laying around…ewww…
* in the interest in full disclosure, despite knowing for over a week that Ella had a loose tooth, we were not prepared at all. Loran only had larger bills, I had zero bills, we scrounged up the six quarters (not all of them were US currency) and then I spied the small pile of birthday money belonging to Lily. Lily, IOU: $1.
No comments:
Post a Comment