Sunday, January 18, 2015

Ella, Squirrel Whisperer

We have a squirrel menace. It seems to have chewed a hole in the side of our house and gets into our attic. It hasn’t done any damage we can see, other than the hole, but we hear it now and then. We’re trying to trap it, unsuccessfully (obviously), but we did manage to catch an opossum, so that was exciting…good eatin’ that night! j/k We’ll be calling the professionals out to take care of the critter, but it has provided some interesting conversations in our house.

The best, however, was just Friday night. We hadn’t heard much from our squirrel friend in days. But that evening, Ella came out from her room to tell Loran she was hearing something. Sure enough, there was scratching. Ella told me that she could hear it making noise and told me, “I said, ‘Hello? Who is there?’ but nobody said anything.” I told her that squirrels probably can’t understand English. She ran back into her room and shouts out, “Hola?”

And then I nearly died laughing.

IMG_20141115_132316296_HDR

The hilarious interactions this squirrel has caused is *almost* worth it. I took this photo the first time I saw it in November. Thinking it was just a funny little squirrel peeking in the window. I sent the photo to Loran who was at work. And his response, “Should I stop on my way home to pick up a gun?” I’m assuming of the BB kind. But I was laughing thinking, ‘someone’s been in Texas too long! It’s just a harmless little squirrel!’ Little did I know, that probably would have been an optimal solution. Except one of us probably would have shot through a window or something (me).

This is the *only* squirrel I’ve seen in our yard since we moved here. And we back up to trees and a small creek. So I didn’t think anything of it. In Minnesota, if I looked out and didn’t see a squirrel, it was really odd…or –40….or the bald eagle was perched in our tree. So, needless to say, this has been quite surprising.

But seriously…hola?

No comments: